The 70/20/10 learning and development model is a highly effective approach to professional growth. It suggests that people learn most effectively through a combination of three different types of experiences:
- 70% from on-the-job experiences, such as challenging assignments, projects, and problem-solving
- 20% from social learning, such as coaching, mentoring, and feedback from peers and managers
- 10% from formal training, such as courses, workshops, and conferences
In the 1990s, the Center for Creative Leadership, Greensboro, North Carolina, surveyed 200 executives and asked them to self-report how they learned. Most executives reported that most effective learning is from their on-the-job experiences and interactions with others.
Applications of the 70/20/10 Model
- Professional Development: The 70/20/10 model is particularly relevant in professional development. In a work setting, employees can apply this model by learning through their daily tasks (70%), seeking guidance and feedback from mentors and peers (20%), and participating in formal training programs (10%). This balanced approach leads to continuous growth in the workplace.
- Personal Growth: The 70/20/10 model is not limited to the professional sphere. It’s equally applicable to personal growth and self-improvement. For instance, if you’re trying to learn a new language, you might spend 70% of your time conversing with native speakers, 20% practising with language partners or tutors, and 10% in structured language classes.
- Entrepreneurship: Entrepreneurs can harness this model to develop a robust skill set. They can learn by launching their projects (70%), seek advice from experienced entrepreneurs or mentors (20%), and occasionally attend workshops or courses on entrepreneurship (10%).
Benefits of the 70 20 10 Model
- Efficiency: The 70/20/10 model encourages efficient learning. It minimizes the time spent on theoretical knowledge and maximizes the time spent on practical, real-world experiences. This approach ensures that learning is directly relevant to your goals and responsibilities.
- Adaptability: In a fast-changing world, adaptability is critical. The 70/20/10 model promotes adaptability by emphasizing experiential and social learning. These elements provide the skills needed to navigate new challenges and industries.
- Long-term retention: Learning through experience and social interactions often leads to better retention. When you apply what you’ve learned in real-life situations or discuss it with peers, the knowledge tends to stick as it becomes a part of your everyday life.
- Customization: You can customize the model according to your needs and preferences. You can adopt a learning style based on the area of expertise you want to develop. This flexibility makes it accessible and practical for many.
Challenges and Considerations
Here’s a list of challenges of this learning model:
- Balancing Act: Striking the right balance between the three components can be challenging. It requires self-awareness and the ability to adjust your approach as needed. Some learners may be too reliant on formal education, while others might resist structured learning opportunities.
- Access to Resources: Depending on your location and profession, access to mentors, courses, or experiential learning opportunities may be limited. Overcoming these limitations might require creativity and resourcefulness.
- Continuous Reflection: Continuous self-assessment and reflection are crucial to maximising the 70/20/10 model. You must evaluate what’s working and what’s not and adapt your learning strategy accordingly.
MIT School of Distance Education is an AICTE-approved distance learning institute. It caters to working professionals looking for career development. It offers best PG Diploma in Management courses for the holistic development of professionals.
MITSDE offers a wide array of disciplines to choose from, such as –
- Project Management
- Marketing Management
- Finance Management
- Operations Management
- Supply chain & Logistics Management
- Banking & Financial Services
- IT Management
- Construction & Project Management
The courses are approved by AICTE and are taught by industry experts. The courses focus on practical learning and hence have case study discussions, a state-of-the-art learning management system, and a self-paced learning model. The eligibility criteria are flexible. Therefore, education offering is inclusive.
MITSDE has a dedicated team of student success managers for each learner. Student success managers assist learners in their academic journey.
It also has a placement cell that guarantees 100% placement assistance. The placement cell also offers resume-building and career-building sessions to help secure a rewarding career.
Lastly, initiatives like MITSDE Labs and Harbour offer a perfect blend of practical hands-on training and psychological counselling.
Thus, MITSDE courses offer a 360-degree learning approach that guarantees a rewarding career path.