The origin of project management can be traced back to 2570 BC when the pyramids were built. The planning, execution, and uniqueness of each pyramid is the living proof of the kind of distinguished project planner the Egyptians were. Since then the concepts have evolved into the recent agile and scrum methodologies.
Project management has been a crucial part of ancient knowledge that has undergone evolution to become the refined version it is today. However, the evolution process is continuous and hence keeping oneself updated with the latest developments in this field.
Before we dive deeper into the benefits of pursuing a course in project management, let us first understand why it is important to study it.
A project though primarily used in the context of IT solutions or manufacturing processes is not limited only to those domains. A project can be anything in any field, even our daily activities can be termed as a project. Hence, a project can be anything as simple as buying groceries to constructing dams.
A project manager is the captain of the ship and is responsible for the successful completion of the project.
It is a highly skilled job and hence a manager needs to possess qualities such as leadership, communication, planning, budgeting, adaptability, problem-solving, and time management.
Simply, the technical know-how and domain knowledge are not enough. A project manager should have a problem-solving attitude, be a team player, and should be able to effectively manage risk.
A project manager is responsible for planning the process, communicating the same with the team, coordinating with various departments, senior management, and clients, monitoring & tracking the progress of the project, risk-taking, and risk management.
The desired qualities of a project manager are –
- Strong leadership
- Good interpersonal communication
- Analytical skills
- Time-management skill
- Good in documentation
- Deep understanding of the business processes & functions
- Strong technical knowledge
In today’s world, a person possessing all the above-mentioned qualities is eligible to earn an average annual salary of Rs. 12-14 LPA in India. In countries like the USA, the average annual salary will be in the range of $ 51000 – 110000. In the UK, the salary will be approximately around £39000/-
Many times, it is a common notion that pursuing certification courses like PMP or Prince2 will land the candidate a high-paying job as a successful project manager. However, the truth is far from it.
Certifications such as the PMP certification exam or Prince2 are pursued by the people in the industry who wish to upgrade their knowledge and get a sense of accomplishment due to the tough nature of the PMP exam. This is because only 5-10% of people can crack them. There are very few PMP-certified project managers.
But, to gain entry into the field a deep-rooted understanding of the relevant skills and an overall understanding of the business processes is required.
In such scenarios, a distance learning or online course in project management is the need of the hour. These distance learning programs are designed to meet the academic and skill-based requirements of a working professional who wishes to upgrade their knowledge and enhance their earning potential.
The benefits of these project management online courses are as follows –
- Flexibility – Courses that impart relevant skills are to the point, add value to the resume, and provide the flexibility of studying while working do not require the candidate to attend classes on a physical campus and spend the whole day and eventually 2-4 years.
- Focused online learning – The courses are designed in a way that they focus on the skills necessary for the domain, are applicable, and are updated.
- Soft skills – These courses also focus on soft skills such as communication, corporate ethics, and social responsibility. Soft skills are the most sought-after skills by employers. This is the reason why employers are insistent on degree requirements, which is a proxy for soft skills.
- Age-limit – These courses do not have any age criteria and hence can be pursued by anyone looking to gain knowledge at any age.
- No eligibility criteria – Many people are often deprived of higher education or college degrees as they do not fit the eligibility criteria. This eventually closes the doors to many opportunities despite possessing relevant skills. Distance education courses generally do not have any such criteria, thus making them easily accessible.
- Acceptability – Courses & certifications from reputed and Government recognized institutes have acceptability worldwide.
- Technology – With evolving technology, the teaching-learning process has evolved. Latest Learning Management Systems like Canvas are making the learning experience hassle-free and easy for students. Thus enhancing the learning experience.
- Affordability – The online courses have a price range of Rs. 500 – Rs. 2,00,000 or more, thus making education open for people of any financial strata.
- ROI – Since these courses are customized to be domain-specific and impart the latest knowledge, the candidate can be easily absorbed in the industry. Thus yielding a high return on investment.
- Affiliation – The candidate gets an alumni status of the institute upon course completion.
- Certification – Upon completion of the course, the candidate is awarded a degree or diploma, or certificate of completion which is a valuable addition to the resume.
Thus, if you are a working professional looking to upskill or upgrade yourself, distance learning is the solution to all your problems. Pursuing a PG Diploma in Project Management or other certification courses from institutes like MIT School of Distance Education gives you an extra edge over the competition.