A mentor is one who advises or trains for difficult situations and guides the mentee throughout life.
The corporate world can seem intimidating for anyone new to it. In such a scenario, having an expert or an experienced mentor makes survival easy.
“Life is a series of experiences, each one of which makes us bigger, even though sometimes it is hard to realize this. For the world was built to develop character, and we must learn that the setbacks and griefs which we endure help us in our marching onward.” – Henry Ford
Experience is the best teacher due to which one becomes worldly. Hence a person having years of experience can guide a fresher through all the nitty-gritty of the corporate world.
The new joiner can benefit from the experience and expertise of the mentor. In a corporate setting, there are many unwritten codes of conduct. This unwritten information has to be passed on by the mentor which acts like a guide for the mentee.
This helps the mentee survive the corporate world and makes their journey easy.
A corporate or industry mentor is important for mentees in times of need and to seek crucial advice. They can benefit from their experience and plan their future or make a career progression plan with their help. The mentoring sessions help the mentee to see beyond their job role and look at the big picture.
Benefits of an Industry Mentor –
- Exposure to new and different perspectives – An experienced and worldly person has seen many situations throughout their professional life. Hence the mentor possesses the knowledge required to face difficult situations and provides a crucial perspective on them.
- Growing a professional network – A person who has spent years in a professional setting in any industry has built a wide network. A mentee can leverage this network and connections to discover new opportunities.
- Increased chance of success– Since the mentee has guidance from an expert, they can be better prepared to face difficult situations and plan for future risks. This increases their chance for success and professional development.
- Promotion – A person mentored by and recommended by an expert or a senior manager adds weight to the candidate’s credibility. This helps the employee gain the trust of senior officials and grow faster in their careers.
- Increased job satisfaction – Since the guidance aids the mentee to prepare for any adversities or plan for future opportunities or threats, they have better job stability and thereby satisfaction.
- Motivation – Expert guidance helps employees to perform better and see visible results from it. This motivates them to work harder and achieve their career goals. The advice also helps the mentee set expectations related to career growth and salary, which gives them clarity of thought and sense of purpose.
- Job interview – Expert guidance helps the mentee plan their job interview and answer the questions posed by the recruiters satisfactorily. Thus increasing their chances of getting selected.
Steven Spielberg, the famous director once said, “The delicate balance of mentoring someone is not creating them in your own image, but giving them the opportunity to create themselves.”
How does MIT School of Distance Education help freshers like you successfully survive the corporate world?
MITSDE brings you Industry Mentorship Program. It is a great way for all to learn the nuances of any industry and explore professional development topics through small mentoring groups. The sessions are driven by industry experts and focus on guiding the mentee to navigate through the corporate world, build connections, share tips on career growth, and help create a career path.