How often have you felt that you lack the drive to work, feel underutilized, or are tired of mundane tasks?
Do you ever feel unappreciated at your workplace or feel that you are stuck in a rut?
All these are signs of dissatisfaction at the workplace. In economic terms, this condition is known as the sunk cost fallacy. Cambridge dictionary defines sunk cost fallacy as the idea that a company or organization is more likely to continue with a project if they have already invested a lot of money, time, or effort in it, even when continuing is not the best thing to do.
Similarly, for an individual continuing a particular job due to the time and effort invested in it hampers career progression.
This is the opportune moment to switch jobs for career advancement.
Here are simple steps by which you can easily make the much-needed career transition to increase your earning potential, grow new skills, rank up in the management hierarchy, get appreciation and recognition –
- Goal setting – Before starting any position in any company, you need to focus on your personal goals. Pen down your goals. Remember, the goals may be subject to alteration but having a defined target in mind will help you focus better on your work. Let the target be a motivating factor for you. Be careful to mention the details while setting your goals. For example – My goal is to be the head of the Marketing department in my organization in the next 3 years. To achieve my goal, I need to have the technical skills and relevant experience. Hence I need to upskill myself to become eligible for the post.
- Career blueprint – Craft a blueprint of your career graph. Create a detailed plan of your career goals, skill requirements and potential hurdles. Set performance standards for yourself and constantly evaluate your performance to check its alignment with your goals. If possible seek help or mentoring from your seniors, colleagues or even manager. Chart out your career path and interact with your mentor to gain insights.
- SWOT analysis – Just like companies conduct a SWOT analysis to understand their strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats; it is crucial to do so at the individual level. A holistic & unbiased SWOT analysis will help you overcome your weaknesses and convert them into opportunities. It will also help you give a clear understanding of your skillsets and their relevance in the corporate world today. Thus enabling you to positively work on upskilling.
- Networking – Apart from self-analysis, networking and building contacts in the industry is of prime importance. A valuable yet difficult soft skill is networking. However, mastering this skill is essential for survival in the corporate world. Landscapes, environments or situations change but your networking skills will help you get through any difficult situations. For this purpose, good communication skills are fundamental.
- Technological updating – In today’s changing world of digital disruption, updating your technical skills and knowledge will help you remain at the forefront of the competition.
- Upskilling – Peter Drucker, the father of management says, “Knowledge has to be improved, challenged and increased constantly, or it vanishes.” The world is constantly changing, and the skills that are relevant today may become obsolete tomorrow. Hence constantly upgrading your skills to avoid stagnancy in your career is crucial. For this purpose, online learning or distance learning programs solve the problem of leaving one’s job in the middle of one’s career.
- Record your progress – Keep a journal of all your achievements, your accolades and the tasks you have undertaken that have benefitted the organization. Make a list of any upskilling efforts, instances of leadership and any volunteer work you may have done.
How MITSDE will help you?
MIT School of Distance Education (MITSDE) is one such institute that understands the current skills gap in the market and strives hard to reduce it. For this purpose, MITSDE brings to you PG Diploma in Management. It is an online course designed specifically for working professionals looking to upskill themselves without having to forego their job.
The PG diploma in management courses focuses on technical and soft skills development to help individuals rise high on the career ladder.
MITSDE also offers a dedicated team of student success managers working day-in and day-out to bring to you a unique learning experience by assisting you in every step of your academic journey.
A placement cell and its offerings like resume-building and career-building sessions help you to secure a rewarding career.
Lastly, initiatives like MITSDE Labs and Harbour offer you a perfect blend of practical hands-on training and psychological counselling.
Thus, we offer you a complete package to thrive in your career.