Marketers either make or break a brand. It is their vision and effort that creates customers and builds brands.
The marketing function is one of the foundational business functions. It is a people-centric function that deals with internal and external customers. Goal setting and alignment with the company’s vision are the primary responsibilities of the marketing function.
In today’s digital world, marketing processes have shifted online. It is dynamic and changes frequently.
Philip Kotler, the father of modern marketing said, “Marketing 5.0, by definition, is the application of human-mimicking technologies to create, communicate, deliver, and enhance value across the customer journey.”
Keeping up with these changes requires a professional who is dynamic, curious, a risk-taker, a smooth communicator, and logical. Any person who embodies these qualities can become a holistic marketer.
Let’s take a look at what essential marketing manager skills for a rewarding career –
- Effective communication– A marketer has the important task of communicating the attributes, benefits and advantages of the product and convincing the target market to purchase the product. Hence strong communication skills are one of the core competencies.
- Risk-taking ability – Frequent changes in trends, techniques and technology pose many threats. The biggest threat is the fear of being irrelevant. Hence a marketing manager has to be a risk taker and change strategies according to changes in the market.
- Curious mindset – Changes provide an opportunity to learn and expand knowledge. Hence a marketing professional should have an open and inquisitive mind. This will help them adapt to new trends and make decisions backed by facts and logic.
- Leadership – The domain is for, by and directed towards people. Hence to grow in marketing, one needs to possess leadership skills to lead a team successfully.
- Research-orientedness – To measure the results, a marketer must have an understanding of the market size, buyer persona, trends, and competition. This understanding comes through a habit of doing research and staying updated with the current market conditions.
- Problem-solving ability – This domain is highly volatile and unpredictable, and external factors such as political, legal, environmental, social and economic affect the strategies. Hence, quick adaptability and a problem-solving attitude go a long way.
- Quantifiable decision-making– Data-driven marketing strategies usually derive more accurate, compelling and successful results. Thus, understanding and interpreting the data requires analytical skills.
- Creativity – Effective communication is a skill. The main job of a marketer is to communicate and convince the audience to purchase the product or service. Communication style, mediums and techniques differ for various customer segments. Creative thinking is essential to impactful messaging.
- Digital marketing expertise– The world is going digital. Traditional marketing is slowly being replaced by digital or online formats. Hence the knowledge of digital marketing – Search Engine Optimization (SEO), Social Media Marketing, Search Engine Marketing (SEM), Email Marketing, and Content Marketing is vital.
- Time management skills – Missing the moment means going out of fashion. Marketers need to imbibe this key skill of time management to be accurate about the timing, and scheduling of the ads and indulge in moment marketing to drive results.
- Result-driven – Any marketing activity aims to achieve the targets. Marketing strategies have to be devised in a way that they achieve the desired results. Hence marketers need to have a result-oriented marketing strategy.
- Logical – Logical reasoning skills are effective when the market demands change frequently. Thinking on your feet and executing marketing campaigns effectively, within budget and deriving maximum results requires logical thinking and reasoning skills.
- Adaptable – The dynamic nature of this function requires one to be quick to respond to change or fear losing out on opportunities. Hence adaptability to change is a primary skill any marketer must possess.
This field has numerous opportunities. Take a look at a few potential career opportunities are –
- Advertising Manager
- Advertising Art Director
- Market Research Manager
- Marketing Manager
- Digital Marketing Manager
- Public Relations Manager
- Business Development Manager
- Brand Manager
A marketer can earn in the range of Rs. 2,00,000 to Rs. 25,00,000 annually, depending on the skillset and experience. However, currently, the scope & opportunities in the digital marketing sector have increased manifold, especially during & post-pandemic. A digital marketing manager’s average salary is between Rs. 6 – 7 Lakhs Per Annum.
MITSDE Advantage –
MIT School of Distance Education (MITSDE) is a distance learning institute approved by AICTE.
It is an institute that understands the current skills gap in the market and strives hard to reduce it. For this purpose, MITSDE brings to you PG Diploma in Marketing Management (PGDM Marketing Management).
This online marketing course covers the basics & the latest concepts, orients on the latest tools, and enables you to create a brand, analyse market trends, and design marketing campaigns.