Distance education or online learning has become popular ever since the pandemic. It has become the most preferred source for gaining knowledge and upgrading skills.
Reports suggest that eLearning will be worth $325 billion by 2025. 89% of L&D managers globally believe that building employee skills will help navigate the evolving future of work
Employers are demanding upskilling courses for their workforce. Due to the advent of Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning (ML) and other technologies, 50% skill set required for a particular job will change by 2027.
The future is upon us, so it is crucial to understand the need to upgrade our knowledge.
Life of working professionals is time-bound, and hence they need a learning solution that will address their needs at their disposal.
Distance learning or online education is the best way for these professionals to gain knowledge while retaining their job.
- Flexibility – Online learning programs are to the point and add value to your resume. The distance learning model does not require students to attend offline classes. The online classes are primarily based on a self-paced learning model. Hence it offers complete flexibility.
- Focused learning – The courses are designed to focus on the skills necessary for the domain, are applicable, and are updated. They also provide knowledge on legal compliance for setting up and running any company.
- Soft skills – These courses also focus on soft skills such as communication, corporate ethics and social responsibility. Soft skills are the most sought-after skills by employers.
- Age-limit – These courses do not have any age criteria and can be pursued at any age.
- No eligibility criteria – Distance education institutes generally do not have any eligibility criteria, thus making higher education easily accessible.
- Acceptance- Courses & certifications from reputed and Government recognised institutes have worldwide acceptance.
- Technology – High-end Learning Management Systems, virtual classrooms, and online assessments make the learning experience hassle-free and easy for students.
- Affordability – The online courses have a price range of Rs. 500 – Rs. 2,00,000 or more, thus making online education open for people of any financial strata.
- ROI – Since these courses are customised as per the advancements in each sector, they impart updated and relevant knowledge. Thus yielding a high return on investment.
- Affiliation – The candidate gets an alum status from the distance learning institute or University.
- Certification – Upon completion of the course, the candidate is awarded a degree, diploma, or certificate of completion, which is a valuable addition to the resume.
Though the advantages of distance learning are lucrative and beneficial, they have certain drawbacks, such as –
- Limited peer interaction – Unlike traditional learning, the absence of classrooms makes peer interaction difficult. This can lead to demotivation or frustration.
- Motivation – Pursuing an online course requires one to be motivated to complete it. Hence you have to be disciplined and self-motivated.
- Technical challenges – Lack of necessary infrastructure such as laptops or desktops, high-speed internet connection, or slow or defective computers can hamper the learning experience.
- Distractions – When studying from home or the office, many distractions may cause you to lose focus and tempo.
MIT School of Distance Education understands these challenges. It aims at reducing these challenges and offers various services for the holistic development of working professionals. MITSDE, along with academics, focuses on mental health and mental conditioning.
MIT School of Distance Education is a constituent of MIT, Pune, approved by AICTE. It offers a Post Graduate Diploma in Management for working professionals who wish to upgrade their careers.
It offers a wide array of disciplines to choose from, such as –
- Project Management
- Marketing Management
- Finance Management
- Operations Management
- Supply chain & Logistics Management
- Banking & Financial Services
- IT Management
- Construction & Project Management
In addition to these specialisations, it also offers MIT Harbour an initiative focused on helping students make positive changes in themselves to achieve their goals. It is an initiative for students beyond the usual periphery of the course.
The programme helps deal with stressful situations, guides techniques like time management, practical study, self-awareness, and coping strategies, and motivates you always to do your best despite any challenges.